Answering your questions on acupuncture treatment
If you are new to Acupuncture, we understand that you might have some questions. We are confident that we have the answers to your inquiries.
Below are the answers to the questions that are most commonly asked about acupuncture treatment. Should you have additional questions please feel free to contact us.
Question: What are the benefits of acupuncture?
Answer: Benefits of acupuncture may include:
- Pain relief
- Relaxation or sedation
- Anti-inflammatory response
- Psychological response
- Decrease in muscle recovery time
- Homeostasis or regulatory effect
Question: What does a treatment feel like? Does it hurt?
Answer:When the needle is inserted into the skin, you may feel a slight sensation of pain similar to a mosquito bite. There may also be a feeling of numbness, heaviness, warmth, or slight pain in the affected area.
Question: Are there any complications of acupuncture?
Answer:Complications may include, but are not limited to:
- Pain - discomfort is usually minimal
- Bleeding - bleeding may occur occasionally upon the removal of the needle, and is generally limited to 1 or 2 drops
- Fainting - fainting or lightheadedness may occur before, during, or after the treatment; be sure to report these symptoms to your Chiropractor immediately
- Infection - the risk of infection is very rare, as only sterile, disposable needles of high quality surgical steel are used and the area to be treated is swabbed before insertion of the needle
- Bruising - apply ice to the affected area
Please note - acupuncture is not recommended during the first and third trimester of pregnancy
Question: When can I expect results? How many treatments will I need?
Answer:The number of treatments will vary with each individual and the condition being treated. Treatments usually last between 15-30 minutes. Relief may be immediate or within a few hours or a few days of treatment. Most patients notice an improvement after the first couple of treatments. If no improvement is experienced within 4-8 treatments, the overall changes expected may be minimal.
Question: What conditions can acupuncture be used to treat?
Answer:Acupuncture can be used to treat a variety of musculoskeletal problems such as muscle strains, sprains, bruising, and others. It may also be used to treat systemic difficulties. Ask your Chiropractor if you have questions regarding your specific condition.